- 1 What can I use instead of tomatoes in curry?
- 2 What can we use instead of tomato?
- 3 Can we use tomato sauce instead of tomato in Dal?
- 4 What can I use instead of tomato in chicken curry?
- 5 Which tomatoes are best for Indian cooking?
- 6 How can replace tomato in Indian cooking?
- 7 What vegetable is similar to a tomato?
- 8 What is a good substitute for tomatoes in chili?
- 9 Can we use curd instead of tomato?
- 10 What fruit is similar to a tomato?
- 11 Can I replace tomatoes with tomato paste?
What can I use instead of tomatoes in curry?
Tamarind is one of the ingredients which come closest to replicating the fresh sweet-tanginess of tomatoes. Just add a hint of it to tamarind pulp or paste to recipes like dals, curries or stir fries instead of tomatoes.
What can we use instead of tomato?
The Best Fresh Tomato Substitutes
- Skip it. The easiest and quickest option is to skip the tomato.
- Red Capsicum / Red Bell Peppers. Fresh or grilled red capsicum (bell peppers) can work well instead of tomatoes because they have the beautiful red colour and sweetness that tomatoes provide.
- Canned Tomatoes.
Can we use tomato sauce instead of tomato in Dal?
So yes, tomato paste will do fine. But don’t overdo it. Frequently the amount of tomato is the equivalent of one whole tomato, which would be less than a tablespoon of paste (same thing is true of Texas chili… too much tomato flavor and it begins to taste like spaghetti sauce).
What can I use instead of tomato in chicken curry?
As tangy and sweet-ish as tomatoes, raw mangoes are also texturally similar when cooked properly. Sold at a maximum of Rs 60 per kilo, raw mangoes are a viable option you can explore. The best bit is, you’ll need less raw mangoes in your curry than you would with tomatoes.
Which tomatoes are best for Indian cooking?
Tomatoes are essential in creating the masala base sauce needed for the tangy sweetness of the sauce. I always use whole plum tinned tomatoes but will also use finely chopped or blended fresh tomatoes (including skin and seeds) for vegetable and lentil dhal dishes.
How can replace tomato in Indian cooking?
Substitute for Tomatoes in Indian Cooking
- Lemon Juice, Curds, and Dried Mango Powder. This combination can be applied to a recipe instead of tomatoes.
- Butternut Squash Puree. This works as a tomato paste substitute in just about any recipe.
- Elephant Apple.
What vegetable is similar to a tomato?
A couple foods are fairly similar to tomato nutritionally, particularly plums. In addition, zucchini, honeydew and peas are moderately alike. We compared the key nutrients in tomato (Vitamin C and potassium) to nutrients in hundreds of other foods with data from USDA.
What is a good substitute for tomatoes in chili?
Peppers are a great idea. Roasted red peppers might be a good substitution – they’ll be sweeter than the tomatoes would be, but the texture and color should be about right for diced/crushed tomatoes in chilli.
Can we use curd instead of tomato?
Chef Subhankar Sengupta from Sodexo India suggests, “For the sour flavour, you can use sour curd, vinegar and raw mango powder(amchur), but these wouldn’t give you the rich red colour you associate with tomatoes. To get the colour you can use the paste of red bell pepper; it will take you close to the hue.” 1.
What fruit is similar to a tomato?
Persimmon. The most widely cultivated species of persimmon is the Japanese persimmon, also known as “kaki.” It is generally a light yellow-orange to dark red-orange in color and looks very much like a tomato in many cases.
Can I replace tomatoes with tomato paste?
Tomato paste is nice and thick and while it’s thicker than what you typically expect of crushed tomatoes, it makes a suitable substitute. Tomato paste is definitely much thicker than crushed tomatoes so there are a couple of things you should know about using this substitute.